5 From 1: Research
My top five press releases from July's School Improvement Industry Announcements – Research and Evaluation Organizations
• Basic "must have" data from the Department of Education's Institute for Education Sciences: Characteristics of the 100 Largest Public Elementary and Secondary School Districts in the United States: 2005-06 (Jun 26)
• Accelerated Middle Schools Intervention Report (Jul 8): Consumer information from the Department of Education's What Works Clearinghouse - on a program not offered in the market?
• The budget is policy (Aron Wildavsky, The Politics of the Budgetary Process.) School funding maze frustrates effort to close student achievement gaps (Jun 18). Another of the Center on Reinventing Public Education's illustrations.
• Has Student Achievement Increased Since 2002? State Test Score Trends Through 2006–07 (Jun 23). The Center on Education Policy tells us if NCLB I worked.
• The Fordham Foundation tells us how the "other half" has fared: High-Achieving Students in the Era of No Child Left Behind (Jun 18).