What To Read?
A person who knows state government but is relatively new to the digital learning revolution asked what to read to get up to speed. Here is a quick list:
Blogs: We follow 50 Great Blogs & Blasts.
Policy: The 10 Elements of High Quality Digital Learning was released at the 2010 Excellence in Action National Summit in Washington, DC. It remains the best outline of a forward-leaning state policy framework. The Smart Series, also from Digital Learning Now, is a series of 10 policy papers that detail recommendations for state and district leaders. The collected series is available in a free eBook, Navigating the Digital Shift.
The International Association for K-12 Online Learning (iNACOL) has a well crafted Statement of Principles for Model Legislation in States . They also sponsor CompetencyWorks, the best source for policy and practice questions associated with competency-based education (where students progress based on demonstrated mastery).
School models: For most students, personalized learning will take place in schools that blend the best of online and face-to-face learning. The Christensen Institute defines emerging school models and has profiled exemplary blended learning schools.
Good schools challenge students and ask them to show what they know. For a profile of 20 exemplary schools representing ten school networks as well as some leading school districts, see Deeper Learning for Every Student Every Day.
Trending topics. For a how-to guide for schools and districts see: Blended Learning Implementation Guide 2.0 and Smart Series Guide to EdTech Procurement. Why schools should join networks: Networks, Platforms, & Procurement.
On Promising school model/platform combos:
- Building Buzz in Detroit (on Michigan's Education Achievement Authority)
- Summit Denali (the latest school from a Bay Area secondary school network)
Ten trending policy issues:
- Beyond the Core: What About Other Important Outcomes?
- Short Cycle Efficacy Trials Key to Personalized Learning
- A Proposal for Better Growth Measures
- Consortium Points the Way on Proficiency-Based
- What is Performance Assessment?
- Next-Gen Advisory: 10 Keys to College & Career Readiness (watch for paper in March on guidance systems)
- Preparing Teachers for Deeper Learning (watch for a February paper)
- "Keep Your 3, I Want My A": What's Up With Standards-Based Grading?
- Try This: 10 Things Every State Should Do Now
- Preparing School Leaders