The 4 Biggest Mistakes Seen on Resumes
Your resume is the gateway to securing an interview with a school district. Please avoid some of the mistakes that job seekers make when developing a resume. See the following mistakes that you should avoid:
- No pictures on your resume
- Do not put age or marital status on your resume
Stick to the basics, while still developing a tailored, job specific resume!!!
TOO LITTLE INFORMATION
- RELEVANT SKILLS make sure you are specific about your skills as it relates to teaching
- VOLUNTEER & STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS are considered experience and are just as relevant as your paid experience LIST THESE ON YOUR RESUME!!!
TOO MUCH INFORMATION
- ONE PAGE resume is the norm, two pages is acceptable if it is relevant experience
- RESUME FILLERS make sure your resume is filled with content and not additional spaces
- TAILOR YOUR RESUME, avoid adding jobs that are not strongly relevant; depending on the length of the resume cutting, this information may take your resume from 2 pages to the 1 page recommended resume
TOO MANY SIMPLE MISTAKES
- PUNCTUATION & GRAMMAR are important but especially in applying for a teaching position
- MISPELLED WORDS should be avoided at all costs, simply use "spell check" to avoid this simple mistake
- CONSISTENCY make sure that your bullets, font style and size are consistent throughout your resume
Remember this is your one and only chance to make a good first impression!!!!
Rosalyn S. Smith, Career Advisor
University of North Texas Career Center