Six DO's and DON'T's for Student Teachers
1) DO introduce yourself to teachers, administrators and guidance counselors. DON'T forget to say thank you for the opportunity to partner with that school.
2) DO eat lunch in the teacher's lounge and get to know the faculty. DON'T engage in gossip.
3) DO treat this as an opportunity to put your best professional self forward. DON'T act like you are already an expert. Be gracious about accepting feedback.
4) DO stay visible during your student teaching by volunteering for after school activities. DON'T focus solely on what you are getting out of the experience; rather think about what added value you can bring to the school.
5) DO request informational interviews to obtain job search and resume advice. DON'T try to catch someone in passing, schedule a meeting at their convenience.
6) DO write thank you letters before you leave and continue to stay in touch. DON'T expect them to remember you if you don't stay in touch.
Sandra P. Sylvestre, MA, GCDF
Assistant Director, Career Services