« Mentorship Toward Becoming a Superintendent | Main | Assistant Principal Licensure »

Assistant Principal Licensure

| No comments

Michele in Illinois, who has been asked about taking an assistant principal position for next fall and already has administrative experience, wrote in to ask whether it would be better for her to obtain a principal's license or a Master's in Teacher Leadership. Jack Kronser, a school human resources director in the Denver area, responds: "I am an HR Director in Colorado but I came from Illinois. If you are being asked to look into the position of Assistant Principal, you will need a state license (Type 75 in Illinois, Principal License in CO) to be able to evaluate certificated or licensed staff at a building level. If you complete a Master's Degree in Teaching, that will not do it for you. You will need to enroll in a college or university program designed to complete an administrative licensing program."

The only thing I would mention in addition to Jack's advice is that the district might be able to ask the state—if your principal is willing to go to bat for you—for a temporary license until you can receive the full certification from a college or program. Also, you may be able to find programs that will talk with you about accepting courses of your previous Master's degree and/or your work experience in order to waive some of the required coursework.

Notice: We recently upgraded our comments. (Learn more here.) If you are logged in as a subscriber or registered user and already have a Display Name on edweek.org, you can post comments. If you do not already have a Display Name, please create one here.
Ground Rules for Posting
We encourage lively debate, but please be respectful of others. Profanity and personal attacks are prohibited. By commenting, you are agreeing to abide by our user agreement.
All comments are public.




Recent Comments